Sunday, September 7, 2008
Challenges during instruction
What challenges do you see during instruction in the need to both monitor your student's learning and maintain the right level of tolerance? What is likely to be difficult for you about doing both more or less at the same time? I teach art classes for elementary students that range from kindergarten to fifth grade. I love to hear the students discuss an art technique or a famous picture. Sometimes the discussion gets louder than normal as students like their opinions to be heard. Even my little first grade students will argue over the shape I am asking about on the picture board. It is my job as a teacher to focus the class in the right direction but not give them the answer. I like art because it allows for diversity in answers but with some limitations. I think art is a high level thinking classroom as there is not really any strict answers. There is always room for discussion and everyones opinion is heard. I have to listen closely to the discussions being made because sometimes the topic sways from art. I sometimes hear students say "who you going to play with at recess?" and I will walk by and say "maybe you all can come in and tell me about your favorite piece of art?" and they will jump right back into the discussion. Teachers need to constantly assess the level of learning in the classroom environment. I have my class set up in a "u" configuration so I can walk around easily and see what the students are drawing or talking about. If the class gets to rowdy I ring a little bell or say "it is a shame your aren't concentrating on your assignment and would like to write lines instead." and very seldom does the class get louder as they would much rather being doing the art assignment I gave them then something not as fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You have an open attitude, and I'm sure that really makes a difference on how students relate to you, even at the elementary age. This is great.
Post a Comment